Monday, April 10, 2017

Is School Prioritized Enough?


Do we truly prioritize school? Do we wake up every morning eager to go to class? I’m sure we have all questioned ourselves “why am I even here?”. I have come across that question several times as soon as I began college. During high school, I had to go regardless but in this situation, I have a choice. I question that decision because of money. Money has had a great influence on my decision making. I am currently employed at AutoZone and ever since I have only cared about making money. I am living my life with the motto, “money is the motivation!” and “gotta rack up them hours!”. On my days off I call other stores and work extra hours because I am striving to get my checks looking like phone numbers. The issue though is that I do that even when I know I have school assignments to take care of. If I have something due next day I take full shifts that take up my time when I could’ve done homework instead. Also, the fact that I’m working takes away the importance from school because I have more responsibilities to take care of. It is then that I begin thinking on how I would much rather work full time and be making money already instead of going to school to obtain a career. As much as I would want to dropout though I know that I’m going to continue with school. Working full time at a minimum wage pay will only be good for a short-term period. It is the long-term thoughts that make me stay in school as it’ll be the best decision.

1 comment:

  1. I have told myself "Oh, looks like I'm going to drop out" whenever school seems to get difficult and I can only imagine how much harder it is working a full time job. I do think that money is a good motivation but it should not be the only motivation; while money is a good thing to have I believe that staying on track for school is very important. One of my professors once said "I make more money going to school with scholarships and grants than I do being a professor." I think this is something that is important to think about because there are many options to make money while still keeping school as a priority.

    ReplyDelete